A van has drawn crowds of tourists on Barcelona’s most famous avenue, killing a dozen people in a “terrorist attack”.
An official of the Catalan government said that the death toll could rise above the 13 confirmed so far.
Towards 16h050 (1450 GMT), a vehicle hit a crowd of pedestrians on the famous Ramblas.
The walk to the heart of the city is one of the busiest streets in Barcelona, usually full of tourists and street artists until the evening.
Witnesses described scenes of chaos and panic, with bodies scattered along the boulevard, while others have fled their lives.
Tom Gueller, who lives on a road next to the Ramblas, said he saw the truck speeding down the boulevard.
“It was not slowing down at all. Everyone was crossing the middle of the crowd in the middle of the Ramblas,” he told the BBC, referring to the pedestrian zone.
Six civilians and a policeman were injured when a car driven people in the Spanish town of Cambrils on Friday said the regional government, just hours after a deadly attack similar to that of Barcelona.
Spanish police said they shot down the “four suspected terrorists” and left another wounded Friday in Cambrils.
Police said they are investigating the fact that the suspects Cambrils with explosive vests. His agents have planned to carry out several controlled explosions.
In another incident, an explosion killed a person in a house in Catalonia. Police sources said residents were preparing explosives using gas cyclists.
Regional Interior Minister Joaquim Forn said at least 13 people were killed and about 100 wounded in the attack.
Belgian Foreign Minister Didier Reynders said on Twitter that a Belgian national was among the dead in Barcelona. He told the Belgian media that the victim was a woman.
The wounded included three Dutch citizens and three Greek citizens.
There are no claims reports from India, Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj said he was in permanent contact with the Embassy of India in Spain.
The Islamic QAMA State propaganda agency said the “soldiers” of the jihadist group led the attack, the intelligence group SITE, which monitors Islamist websites.
“The perpetrators of the Barcelona attack were soldiers of the Islamic State,” quoted by QAMA WEB quoted as saying.
Police in the Spanish region of Catalonia, where Barcelona is located, say they have arrested two men, one Spanish and one Moroccan, but the driver of the van is still at large.
The Spanish public network RTVE other sources of information and named one of the detainees as Oukabir Driss, a French citizen of Moroccan origin.
Meanwhile, police said they suspected an explosion of the house Wednesday in a house in Alcanar, about 200 kilometers (124 miles) south of Barcelona, was related to the truck attack.
At least one person died in the house where the police suspected “the preparation of an explosive device.”
Emergency services rushed to the scene and were separated from the area, several ambulances and police vehicles that responded.
The city also closed metro stations in the area, the authorities telling people to stay away from the area.
Police called the population to stay in their homes and avoid unnecessary displacement.
Local police in the Catalan region of Spain said their soldiers fired and killed four suspects and wounded a fifth in a spa resort south of Barcelona to “respond to a terrorist attack.”Read More